NASIRUDDEEN MUHAMMAD PhD
Dr. Nasiruddeen Muhammad is a qualified legal practitioner in Nigeria, acquired training in numerous jurisdictions with many years of legal practice experience across many jurisdictions. He specializes in International Arbitration and International Energy Investment. As litigation and transaction lawyer, he has expertise in handling contentious arbitrations, and civil litigations/appeals, in various areas of practice including privatization cases, telecommunication disputes, construction disputes, insurance claims, aviation claims, election petitions, intellectual property, oil and gas disputes, mergers and acquisitions, and dispute resolutions. Dr Muhammad had been advising various types of clients, including corporations, banks, government entities and individuals.
In addition to the legal practice, Dr Muhammad has been a tutor at the CEPMLP University of Dundee LLM/Msc programmes from March 2014-June 2015, and a guest lecturer at University of Dubai, LL M Arbitration programme in May 2015. He had written extensively on various aspects of law, and currently working on his two monographs on “Legitimate Expectations in Investment Treaty Arbitration” and “Settlement of Petroleum Investment Disputes”. Dr Muhammad can be contacted at: Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTel: +2349035068770, +971561037856
International Arbitration, Investment Treaty Arbitration, Oil & Gas Law, Oil and Gas Contract Negotiations, Contracts in International Petroleum Development, Law & Policy on Investment & Environment, Public and Private International Law, Ocean and River Basin Governance, Dispute Management and Avoidance in Oil & Gas, International Arbitration in Oil and Gas, Host Government and International Oil Companies, International Negotiations
Representative- Professional Practice Experience:
- Co-Counsel in a major construction dispute pursuant to FIDIC (Federation International Consulting Engineers) forms of contract in a claim involving over 100 Million AED before a tribunal constituted under DIAC (Dubai International Arbitration Center).
- Assistant Counsel successfully defending the Federal Government of Nigeria before an UNCITRAL (United Nations Commission on International Trade Law) tribunal chaired by Judge Stephen Schwebel, against a claim of US $ 137 million by a foreign investor in a transaction involving US $ 1.137 billion.
- Assistant Counsel successfully defending the Federal Government of Nigeria in a claim involving US $ 600,000 by Noga International S.A. before the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeals in Nigeria.
- Participated in representing a group of Chinese investors in the successful acquisition of Africa’s largest tannery in Kano, Nigeria.
- Assistant Counsel representing claimants in a successful claim involving the Warsaw Convention and the Nigeria Civil Aviation Act involving a sum over $2million dollars.
Published Journal Articles:
- N. Muhammad, A Comparative Approach to Margin of Appreciation in International Law. The Chinese Journal of Comparative Law, Volume 7, Issue 1, June 2019, 212,
- M. Shokrani and N. Muhammad, Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA): Interrogating the Legal Status of JCPOA and Contextualizing the Legal Implication of United States’ Withdrawal. Global Journal of Politics and Law Research Vol. 7, No. 4 (2019). ISSN: 2053-6593.
- N. Muhammad, Choice of Substantive Law in International Commercial Arbitration: Role of Arbitrators Examined. Bayero Journal of Private and Commercial Law, Vol 1, No. 2 (2015) ISSN: 2449-1985.
- N. Muhammad, The New face of Iranian Buyback Contract: Any hope for foreign Investment? 7 Oil, Gas & Energy Law Intelligence (OGEL) April (2009). ISSN: 1875-418X.
Published Conference Proceeding Papers:
- N. Muhammad, Resolution of Maritime Disputes: Ad-hoc vs Institutional Mechanisms Vol 2 No.1 (2018, ICABML, Conference Proceedings). ISSN: 2523-6547.
- N. Muhammad, Notion of Investment under ICSID Arbitration: A Jurisdictional Dilemma between Subjective and Objective Approaches Vol. 1 No. 1 (2017, ICABML Conference Proceedings). ISSN: 2523-6547.
Conference Paper Presentations:
- N. Muhammad, The Quest for Clarity of Investor’s Legitimate Expectations in Investment Treaty Arbitration. (Presented to 2020 Al Yamamah University Law Forum KSA; 1-2nd March 2020.
- N. Muhammad, Arbitration of Islamic Financial Disputes: Party-Autonomy Based Approach. (Presented at “ Law and Development: From the Islamic Perspective”) 7-8 December 2019.
- N. Muhammad, The Role of Margin of Appreciation in the Resolution of International Economic Disputes: Lessons from Comparative International Law. (Presented at the First Chinese Journal of Comparative Law Conference 2018 entitled “Comparative Law: The Past, Present and Future” 9th－10th June 2018 in Xi’an, China.
- N. Muhammad, Permeability of Investor’s Legitimate Expectations in Investment Arbitration: Lessons from Human Rights Jurisprudence (Presented at the 2018 Taipei International Conference on Arbitration and Mediation).